- Japan’s emissions have increased 6% since 1990, despite a 2012 target of a 6% decrease. US emissions were 21.1% above 1990 levels and accounted for nearly a quarter of all global greenhouse emissions – via Greenhouse gas emissions rising
- No two patients are identical – Experts crack cancer ‘gene codes’, offering new treatment hopes.
- Nanotech Triple Threat to Cancer – finds, flags, and kills tumor cells.
- James Webb Space Telescope – a successor of Hubble Telescope, which will get upgrade
- 20% percent of the world’s CCTV cameras are in the UK.
- The origins of Hallowe’en date back over 2000 years to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain
- 6,912 living languages – via Is There Too Much English on the Web?
- This century is the last century of wild seafood –
Unless we fundamentally change the way we manage all the ocean species together, as working ecosystems, then this century is the last century of wild seafood – via ‘Only 50 years left’ for sea fish
- £95,000, the value of meat from a fin whale
- Emma Mærsk – the largest container ship ever built, and as of 2006 the largest ship in use – via Giant Christmas goods ship docks